Tuesday, January 15, 2013

For the birds


Wolf scouts making bird feeders.
I am a Cub Scout Wolf Den leader and one of the electives in the Wolf book is to plan and lay out a treasure hunt.  Of course I immediately thought of Letterboxing.  There are also electives in their book that are all about birds.  The boys have to identify several birds, make bird feeders, leave out nesting materials, read about birds, etc.  So I had my boys carve bird stamps.

Stamps carved by my Den.  
We had a Pack overnight at a cabin on a local college campus and the boys worked on their bird electives and hid the stamps that they made at a prior meeting.  They really enjoyed making the stamps and hiding them.  I let the boys pick the hiding spots and I wrote up the clues.  The other boys in our Pack liked finding and stamping the stamps.  I will probably make these stamps permanent plants somewhere else on campus because there are already three boxes in this area.  I'm glad that my Wolf's had such a good time learning about Letterboxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment