Saturday, February 22, 2014

Audubon State Park

Museum & Nature Center 

Today was a beautiful day in SW Indiana.  The temp was in the mid 60's, the sun was shining, and there was no wind.  I was a nice day to get out and stretch my cabin fever legs.

In the morning I made some logbooks for future plants and potato soup for a Indy 500 party tomorrow.

After lunch I went over to John James Audubon State Park in Henderson, Ky.  It is just across the Ohio River from where I live.  I was planning to have an event there in the fall but other boxers told me that you are not allowed to plant boxes there.

I was very disappointed because I already had envisioned a trail of bird stamps donated from letterboxers all over the country.  Audubon was a ornithologist, naturalist, and painter.  We was famous for his detailed paintings of birds in their natural habitats.  So I contacted the park and they said that they do allow letterboxing but not in the nature preserve.  They also sent me a park map and the nature preserve covers all the trails but one.  There are a few boxes there and they are all outside the preserve.

But I thought there was another trail (not on the map) that went around the main lake.  I went out today to check on it.  I was excited to see that there is a trail.  It is not maintained very well but there is one.  I think I will continue with my plans on having a fall event there.  I will wait a few months to reserve the shelter house, post the event, and list a tracker to collect my bird stamps.

(I forgot my camera today so I stole a pic from the web.)


2 comments:

  1. Would they let you plant boxes there temporarily - just for the event, if they knew you were going to remove them right after the event? Then you could permanently plant them elsewhere later on and just change the clues. We've had to do that before, and it has worked well so far. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea. I will contact them again.

      Delete