Friday, February 1, 2019

My First Coin

Beetle has started hosting Letterbox Trading Coin swaps.  Instead of 2.5 x 3.5 cards you make a 2.5" circle coin.  The first one she hosted had a cow theme.  I passed on that one but joined her next one about birds.  She called the swap, "LTCoins: BIRDS!" 

Like most of my cards, I carved the stamp right away.  I knew that I wanted to use Distress Inks/Oxides.  I rubbed the inks/oxides on my mat, sprayed with water, tapped/rubbed the card stock thru the ink, dried the paper, and put it in the ink again.  I was quite happy with how they turned out.

Then came cutting a million circles.  A few years ago my mom got me this scrapbook thing that makes cutting circles easy.  My mom is a big scrapbooker and I asked if she had an easy way to make circles for round logbooks.  She had one of these and let me borrow it.  After I borrowed it a few times she got me one for Christmas.

My coins are called, "Owl With Attitude."  The coin has 3 layers, I made 20 coins, for a grand total of 60 circles!  I glued all the layers together with a glue stick.

My original idea for the card was to stamp the owl on white card stock and color it in with Distress Markers.  But I liked the background so much that I didn't want to cover it with the owls.  It was supposed to be brown circle, distress circle, and colored owl on top.  When I switched to Plan B, I couldn't decide what background color to use.  The coins with a lot of blue got orange circles and the ones with a lot of orange got blue circles.  I really like how they turned out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment