Friday, May 26, 2017

PAL Day 2017

Wednesday was the 12th Annual International Plant A Letterbox Day.  I went out on Saturday and planted a series of 3 boxes at the Eagle's Bluff Overlook and Park in Cannelton, Ind.

There is an old letterbox there.  It was planted in 2007 and I have looked for it at least 3 times before and never found it.  Other people found it but I could not.  I decided that before I planted my boxes I would look for this old one again.

Like the times before, I walk the trail that the clue says to walk.  Just like all the times before I count out 100 steps and I end up at a tall rotten stump on the right.  The clue is vague but says to look in the tree on the right.  I search the stump again and don't find anything.  We go back to a tree with a hole (80 steps?) and find a geocache like the last time we looked.

All the other times we looked we went ahead just a bit looking around a few other trees but turned around a went back.  This time we decided to continue on.  After a while we come to a tree on the left with a big hole.  The kids say I should check it out and there was the box.  We started looking for the box in 2011 and after 4 tries finally found it.

When we were done stamping we counted from the tree to the end of the path and it was about 100 steps.  So it appears that every time we looked for this box we were walking the path in the wrong direction.  You don't start at the trail head with the signs, you go up a grass hill to end of the trail that you can't even see from the paved path.  

We checked out the overlook when we were done with the old box and then headed off to a different trail to plant our new series.  The park is about an hour from where we live and I bet it will take a while for anyone to find our boxes.  But it was a nice day, we finally found the old box, and we had fun exploring the park.


No comments:

Post a Comment