Friday, June 30, 2017

My 1000th Find!

Yes, my one thousandth letterbox!  Yesterday, my boxing buddy and I went down to Bowling Green, Ky.  I needed 11 boxes for 1000 and I printed off 13 clues.

Soap box race track near a letterbox
The ride down was nice but we started our boxing expedition with issues.  The first box we were looking for was planted in February, was last found in May, and we couldn't find it :(  I shot the owners an AQ email asking for a hint and they responded.  We were already down the road so we decided to try again on the way out of town.  If you remember my last blog post about Bowling Green, you may remember that while we were boxing that day two boxes were planted while we were there.  This was one of those boxes.

Beautiful water area in a cemetery
We did well on most of our finds.  One of the boxes was under a light skirt at a local library.  The area where the box was was fenced off because of construction.  The workers were on lunch when we came and we asked them if we could get the box.  They said yes, when we returned the box I gave them a muggle card.  They seemed interested in our "scavenger hunt".

One of the boxes we looked for was gone.  The tree that it was planted in was cut down.  I had a box in a nearby cemetery and we checked it while we were close.  The tree was covered in vines and I couldn't find it.  But other boxers had so I left it as active.  We also planted a new box in the same cemetery across the street.

We kept boxing.  My 1000th find was the second box in a 2 box series where the stamps were carved by Kirbert.  I have sent my gauges off to Kirbert to be sharpened a few times so I was excited to find some of his stamps.

My 1000th find!!
Once we had tried all the clues I took, we went to the first one we missed.  The planters checked on the box on their lunch break and left an item on the rock we were supposed to look under.  There were so many rocks in the area I think we would have never found it without their help.

We found 12 boxes and I now have 1001 finds.  We left two hitchhikers and found none.  On our way back we drove thru a patch of rain and saw a bright double rainbow :) We had lunch in Bowling Green and stopped in Owensboro on the way home for dinner & dessert.  Our next trip will be to Owensboro to get two boxes there.

No comments:

Post a Comment