Monday, September 26, 2016

200 years in Indiana event

Shelter House
My event was Saturday, September 24th at Lincoln State Park.  It was a little warmer than I had hoped but over all it was a good day.   We had 50 people from all over the country- CA, IA, MO, IL, IN, OH, KY, TN & MI.

Friday evening we set up camp.  We were camping with my parents, sister & husband, and my two nieces.  They went to Holiday World on Saturday and didn't attend my event.  It was nice to not have to worry about the kids while doing event stuff.

Boxers Stamping
On Friday night, I had to climb to the fire tower to hide the box that I couldn't find the last time I was out planting.  All of the kids wanted to go.   A little after 8 we left the campground.  We hiked to the fire tower, planted the box, and finished the loop back to the campground.  We got back around 9:30.  It was cool to walk the trail and go in the fire tower at night.

The shelter was really close to the campground and our site.  Saturday morning we loaded up a wagon and took items to the event.  My kids helped with table cloths and setting out table top boxes before they left for Holiday World.  One of my kids wanted to stay but I told him he would enjoy Holiday World more.

Food & Stamps
It was nice to get to meet so many local folks.  When we hosted our event like this in 2012 we were looking forward to meeting local boxers.  Then most of the people who came were from out of town.  But this time many of the locals came.  It is nice to put a face with the names and stamps you find :)

 People came and went from the shelter all day.  I knew that I would be camped out there all day but I didn't know how many people would hang around.  For about an hour in the late afternoon it was just me & my husband.  We cleaned up a little bit and talked about taking a nap.  Are you a bad host if you nap while all your participants are out on the trail? ;)
Our Site 

I totally forgot about the group photo!  I had planed on doing one after lunch when a lot of people were at the shelter.  But I had also said that we would play BINGO after lunch.  Some of the young ladies were asking about BINGO and I got focused on that and forgot the picture.  Oh well, I think everyone had a good time.

Sunday morning my crew wanted to walk a trail so we walked the penny trail.  On our way out of the park we planted the event stamp.  I would like to go out in November and check all the boxes, make sure they are in their spots, and covered up.  I also have one stamp that I need to return to its owner.

Hosting an event like this is a lot of work.  I am control freak and like to do everything myself.  But I think if I am going to do an event like this again, I will need help :)

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. Heard nothing but raves. Sure lit up the IN AQ board! Wish I could've made it. TAP

    ReplyDelete