Monday, August 21, 2017

Happy Solar Eclipse Day!

Lil Ewok (in black) and his Kindergarten class
I live in southwest Indiana and we were supposed to be 99% totality for the solar eclipse today.  I originally planned on going down to Hopkinsville, Ky to watch the eclipse with some other letterboxers.  But about a month out, they were talking about all the crowds/traffic and we decided to stay home.

Daddy's Favorite Princess (red w/ hands on head)
and 3rd grade class
Boxing Turtle in 7th grade
I went and watched at my kids school.  We had a few thin clouds but we had a great view.  I was disappointed with the point of "totality".  I thought being 99% it would be darker, we would be able to see stars, the corona, etc.   When looking away, it seemed like a big cloud covered the sun.  The street lights came on and the crickets/cicada were buzzing.  My 2 older boys were disappointed too :(

On Sunday, I planted a box for the eclipse.  Two other boxers have planted boxes within an hour of me while they were traveling to see the event too :)

I have already started looking at the maps for the solar eclipse 2024 and it looks like we will be in totality then.  Wow!  I guess all the crazies will come to us  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment